Sunday, February 28, 2010

Golf Cake....



This was a fun cake! Not difficult and I was REALLY proud of my fondant! I still have alot of work to do on perfecting my work, but given the fact that the cake had curves, I did well. Usually curves and corners are more difficult to manipulate, but not this time! Woo hoo! It's a bit like trying to fit a pie crust over a cake; that would be about the consistency of rolled fondant.

The animal was supposed to be an homage to Caddyshack....a gopher. Wellll - I thought it was a mole, so I made a mole. OOPS - LOL. Have you ever seen a picture of a mole??!!! UGLY little suckers! And I have those things underground in my backyard??!! YUCK!!!!


Anyway, back to the cake. I came up with a new flavor name....the Obama flavored cake. 1/2 choc., 1/2 vanilla :-) - pretty cool, huh? Instead of just 'marble' why not Obama? LOL.

The mound that the mole came out of was made from the cake scraps when I carved it. That was pretty easy; I just mixed it with a little icing so it would hold it's shape and wala! A dirt mound was born! I tried to be as true-to-life as possible.

The sand trap was made from sugar in the raw that I ground into a fine powder, pretty neat, huh? Looks pretty real! People asked me if it was real sand, lol. The 39th hole represented the persons age. (it was for a surprise B-day)

I used just a classic buttercream to ice it (under the fondant) and it was received really well.

One of the many things I would like to improve is my speed. I take WAAAAY to long to finish a cake. They're always on-time, but I need to be able to move faster.

I also need a higher powered mixer (Hobart) so I can dye fondant without killing my wrists and shoulders. My fondant colors thankfully come out just as I want, but getting them there - WHEW! That's TRUE labor!

Although there were some things I would've done differently, I'm not beating myself up about this one, I'm really happy with the results :-). I took my time and REALLY paid attention to each step. I would also say that having the support of a WONDERFUL man was really great! I was up until the VERY wee hours of the morning finishing this and so was he. Just the fact that he was up while I was, made me feel really, really, really special! (Of course the fact that he got to taste the pieces that were carved helped - lol.)

Onto the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment